Wednesday 13 March 2013

snack sandwich ideas

ohhh since my daughter got sick I could hardly find any time to even do basic work around the house, Now she is absolutely fine THANK GOD!!!
I got so many ideas and recipes that I have no clue how to post them all now.
Anyway my baby's breakfast usually consists of some juice or water and some kind of porridge. Sometimes scrambled or boiled egg. Usual stuff.
But what about the snack?



Sometimes my husband calls her little beggar as whenever she sees us eating or snacking she is right away next to you, looking with those big cute eyes and saying yum yum? (that means I want to eat).
I tried giving her sandwich that I made specially for her but she didn't even finish one piece. So the idea of this kind of snack was put off for .... well at least a couple of months.
One day I was in a hurry for a meeting with my friends and couldn't feed my baby with porridge while driving. So I made little sandwiches again hoping that maybe she would somehow eat at least one. She ate them all!!!
So now I make sandwiches, experimenting with filling and bread. I usually use brown bread with crust removed, multi-grain bread slices (I don't remove the crust of this bread as it is quite soft) or brown pita bread. If bread slices are thick I remove the crust and then flatten them with a rolling pin.

Here are some of the fillings I make:

  • soft cheese and honey (appropriate for babies 1 year or older)
2-3 tbsp homemade soft cheese mixed with 1 tsp honey



  • soft cheese and berry compote (8 month)

place a handful of organic berry mix in a small pot with 1/2 tsp of brown sugar, bring to simmer and cook for a couple of minutes or until the mixture resembles thin jam. Mix with a couple of tbsps of soft cheese (greek yogurt). I used brown pita bread for this snack.

  • soft cheese and orange marmalade (8-9 months)
I use organic orange marmalade, just enough to spread very thinly on one piece of bread and spread 2-3 tbsps of soft cheese on the other. Put together the pieces and cut into smaller sandwiches.



  • yogurt and tomato/peach/cucmber (10-11 months)

 spread thin layer of yogurt on both pieces of bread, place a few thin slices of tomato/peach/cucumber
put pieces together and cut into bite sizes.

As you might already have noticed I use soft cheese or greek yogurt, I don't use mayo or ketchup as they are quite strong and bold in flavor. If I make sandwiches with veggies I might add just a sprinkle of sea salt to complement the flavor.
Hope it will be helpful and you are most welcome to share your ideas or recipes.


Have a lovely day...
take care of you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...